Mid-America Air Museum

Nooks & Crannies

Immaculate Heart of Mary Church in Windthorst

The first church at Windthorst was built in the spring of 1879, with the first mass celebrated on Easter Sunday. Growth of the parish was steady and strong, and by 1892, the need for a larger church was urgent. A second church was constructed in 1892 for a cost of $1,087 serving more than 200 patrons.

Read more »

Smallest Concrete Jail in Kansas

The smallest concrete jail in Kansas is the Fowler Jail located at the north end of Main Street, near the water tower, in Fowler, Kansas. There is no charge to take a look at this piece of history and wonder about those who 'spent a night or two' in this unusual jail.

Read more »

Ness County Bank, Ness City, Kansas

The Ness County Bank building, a four-story, 18,700 sq. ft. stone building at the intersection of Main Street and Pennsylvania Avenue, in Ness City, Kansas, was called, upon its completion in 1890, "The finest and most imposing structure west of Topeka."

Read more »

Dorothy’s House & Land of OZ

Dorothy's House was built in 1907 and donated to the Seward County Historical Society. Volunteers moved the house to its present location on the grounds. It has been carefully restored and furnished to replicate the house shown in the movie "The Wizard of Oz", reproducing the warmth of the farmhouse where Dorothy realized that, "There's no place like home." Former governor John Carlin recognized the house as the official home of Dorothy Gale in 1981.

Read more »

Round Barn, Mullinville, KS

In 1912 Henry W. Fromme, a German immigrant, hired William "Pat" Campbell, a local carpenter, to build a large round barn to house 28 draft horses and a box stall for the registered Percheron stallion which he imported from France. Round barns were promoted as being more wind resistant, efficient use of space, and took less lumber to construct the same volume of space. The estimated cost was $8,000, which is several thousand dollars higher than that of other barns of the time. The two level haymow is covered with tongue in groove pine boards. Original color was white with a green roof. The barn stands out from miles around and served as a landmark for training WWII bomber navigators.

Read more »

The Windsor Hotel, Garden City, KS

The Windsor Hotel was chosen as a finalist for the 8 Wonders of Kansas Architecture because of its paradigm-setting architectural feature of the open atrium with surrounding hotel rooms in 1887.

Read more »

Fort’s Cedar View Bed & Breakfast, Ulysses, KS

"Home away from home" for many business travelers, 8 miles north of Santa Fe Trail, Beautiful sunrise and sunsets, birders will enjoy the 20 acres of prairie grasses. Great place for family reunions, corporate retreats, and seminars. Enjoy clean air, clear nights with bright stars. Near Attractions: Located north of Wagon Bed Springs on the Santa Fe Trail and 2 miles from an accredited Santa Fe Trail interreptive museum - the Historic Adobe Museum 18 Hole Golf Course - Wellness and Fitness center - Indoor-Outdoor Swimming Pool within a mile - Great Sports complex Fitness Center.

Read more »

Boot Hill Bed & Breakfast, Dodge City, KS

Spend a night or three in a grand old house at the top of Boot Hill, featuring the "Best Breakfast in the West". Relive the old west at Boothill Museum (across the street), walk the Trail of Fame in Downtown Dodge, see a show at the Depot Theater Co. Dinner Theater located in the Historic Sante Fa Depot, or visit historic buildings like the Mueller-Schmidt House (the House of Stone), and the Carnegie Center for the Arts.

Read more »

Home of Stone, Dodge City, KS

Listed on the National Register of Historic Sites, the Mueller-Schmidt home in Dodge City is a three story native limestone house constructed in 1881. Walls of the home are constructed of two and one-half foot thick limestone. Many of the original furnishings shipped out to the frontier when the house was first built are on display. One room is filled with memorabilia of pioneer mothers who lived in Ford County, Dodge City and the surrounding territory.

Read more »

Santa Fe Depot & Harvey House, Dodge City, KS

The Santa Fe Railway depot built in 1898; an adjacent Harvey House hotel and restaurant, El Vaquero, opened in 1900, built in the Spanish mission style. This large structure totaled two city blocks. There was a major renovation of the hotel lobby in 1913; but the El Vaquero hotel closed 1996, the BNSF Railway donated the depot to the city. The depot was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2000.

Read more »