Clark State Park

Santa Fe Depot & Harvey House, Dodge City, KS

Santa Fe Depot - Dodge City

The Santa Fe Railway depot built in 1898; an adjacent Harvey House hotel and restaurant, El Vaquero, opened in 1900, built in the Spanish mission style. This large structure totaled two city blocks. There was a major renovation of the hotel lobby in 1913; but the El Vaquero hotel closed 1996, the BNSF Railway donated the depot to the city. The depot was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2000. From 2000 to 2002, the Santa Fe depot and the El Vaquero/Harvey House restaurant were renovated with funding of $11 million. The 45,000 square-foot building has been completely rehabilitated to the 1898 standard, including rebuilding the platform outside. Great care has been taken in restoring the brick, metal, limestone and sandstone exterior. The old hotel lobby, now the main gathering room, has been restored using many of the original fixtures, flooring, counter, woodwork and leaded glass windows. The Harvey House dining room has also been restored for use as a meeting space and occasional dining.

Read more about this activity here
http://www.greatamericanstations.com/Stations/DDG